DIY paper drawer liners

It’s been WAY too long since I’ve posted. The Generes household has been busy:

1. We moved from San Diego, California to Dallas, Texas!

2. We had a baby! Genevieve was born August 22.

Genevieve_IMG_0024

3. We bought a house (more to come on this in future posts)!

I’m slowly starting to decorate our new house. It’s basically like starting from scratch—yay!—because we sold a lot of our stuff before moving and we have more space here than we did in our San Diego condo.

You may remember that I designed Genevieve’s nursery when we were still living in Switzerland. I’ve had to make a few modifications to the original plan, and I have been REALLY slow in doing projects (life with a newborn) for her room. My first completed project: lining her dresser drawers.

I bought this mid-century modern dresser a couple of years ago on Craigslist for $60.

Genevieve's dresserThe drawers required a good cleaning and liners. Oh, and the whole thing needs to be completely redone, but more on that in a future post.

I knew I wanted patterned, gender-neutral drawer liners that didn’t scream baby. I couldn’t find any ready-made drawer liners I loved, so I decided to make my own using gift wrap. I envisioned black-and-white star paper and found exactly what I wanted here.

DIY-drawer-liners-10-7-14

I sprayed each of the drawers with a disinfectant spray and let them air dry. If the musty stench was overpowering, I would have wiped the inside of the drawers with mineral spirits and set them out in the sun to dry. Then I would have placed fresh, unused coffee grounds in socks and placed them in each of the drawers to soak up lingering odors.

I measured the drawers. I wanted liners to cover both sides and the bottom of each of the drawers in my nine-drawer chest, so I measured one side drawer and one middle drawer (six drawers are the same size; the three middle drawers are a bit larger) and made templates of each using tracing paper and tape (kraft paper would have worked better, but I haven’t unpacked that yet).

IMG_1608I used the templates to cut the gift wrap to size. Thanks, Cheryl, for your help with this step!

I applied a thin, even coat of Mod Podge to one of the sides of one of the drawers. I pressed the pre-cut gift wrap on and smoothed out air bubbles with a wallpaper tool.

IMG_1609I then did the same for the bottom and other side of the drawer.

IMG_1610

IMG_1611I repeated this entire process for each drawer.

I then let the drawers dry completely (about four hours) before applying a thin, even coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper, which will help the liners hold up to moisture and general wear and tear.